Our Intellectual Property (“IP”) attorneys handle all types of patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, Internet, and domain name matters for our clients, as well as false advertising, defamation, and other unfair competition matters. We successfully represent clients on both sides of the issues, from smaller companies accused of infringement to large corporations policing and protecting their famous brands.
We assist with all phases of litigation, including the development and review of pretrial discovery and the creation of economic and financial models to prepare and present defensible and accurate analyses.
YLG lawyers have extensive experience analyzing complex copyright issues that are of critical importance to businesses and nonprofit organizations. We aggressively protect clients’ copyrights in federal and state courts, and before the U.S. Copyright Office.
Trade Secret and Non-Compete
We handle trade secret and non-compete disputes for a range of sophisticated technology companies in a multitude of industries. We provide comprehensive representation — from pre-litigation trade secret counseling and portfolio management to prosecuting and defending trade secret enforcement actions and trade secret misappropriation claims.
In many patent disputes, the ability and willingness to take a case to trial can be critical to winning or reaching a favorable settlement. Our lawyers have vigorously defended clients from pretrial Markman hearings through trial and appeal, achieving favorable claim rulings. Our decades of experience litigating in prominent patent litigation jurisdictions make us well aware of the predilections of particular judges and the attitudes, biases and decision-making processes of juries. Armed with this knowledge, we are able to devise litigation strategies accordingly.
IP Transactions, Licensing & Opinions
YLG attorneys assist clients to protect and commercialize their IP assets, advising on technology and IP transactions. We negotiate and draft IP licenses, evaluate IP assets and perform due diligence in conjunction with various corporate transactions and rendor legal opinions to address issues of patent infringement or validity.
- Adversarial patent licensing, cross-licensing;
- IP due diligence for joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, other transactions;
- Other IP agreements, such as software licenses, consulting agreements, trademark licenses
- Legal opinions addressing issues of patent infringement, validity, freedom to operate/clearance.
- Investigations regarding theft of trade secrets;
- Trade secret litigation;
- In-house forensics to uncover theft of computer data;
- Development of strategies to protect trade secrets
- Patent litigation (including experience in key patent venues, such as the Eastern District of Texas, Northern District of California, and District of Delaware);
- ITC (International Trade Commission) Section 337 investigations;
- Federal Circuit appeals;
- Experience in a wide range of technologies, including the chemical, energy, biotech, medical device, high-tech and telecommunications industries